Monday, October 23, 2006

Why is Bush so confident in face of predicted GOP electoral losses?

From Reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush gently admonished his father(George H.W. Bush) for saying he hates to think what life would be like for his son if the Democrats win control of Congress in the November 7 election.

He shouldn't be speculating like this, because -- he should have called me ahead of time and I'd tell him they're not going to (win)," a smiling Bush told ABC "This Week" in an interview broadcast on Sunday.

Though the elder Bush has said his job is to stay on the sidelines, that did not stop him from raising a warning about the prospects for a Democratic takeover of Congress.

Asked whether he had thought about the possibility, the president told ABC: "Not really ... I'm a person that believes we'll continue to control the House and the Senate."
Perhaps our Fearless Leader is so confident for one reason:Diebold.

But perhaps if Democratic turn out is greater than expected, and evangelicals stay away from the polls, and simply overwhelm a rigged vote count system, what then for Bush and company?
When I asked Gore Vidal at dinner why the White House seemed so serene and at ease about the vote, he replied that, this time around, the Bush-Cheney henchmen could simply call on martial law. He glumly noted that we are so far down the road toward totalitarianism that, even if Democrats do win back the Congress, it would take at least two generations before the last six years of damage to the nation could be reversed.Lyn Davis Lear, HuffPo.com
Vidal may be on to something. The month of October is nearly at an end and as yet no "October surprise." I have never doubted for a minute that the Bush-Cheney cabal would resort to martial law. They are, after all, creatures of the business-investing class and have utter contempt for the rest of us mere comsumers.

I feared the imposition of martial law on the heels of September 11, 2001. I remember, perhaps my memory is faulty but I don't think it is, the commandant of the Marine Corps declaring that the USMC was ready to begin "homeland security" patrols throughout the nation. That was my worst nightmare, hummvs, freshly painted white, full of trigger-happy Marines cruising quite residential neighborhoods. Any way, I've been Googling for something, anything, to back up my memory. I know I did not make this up as I spent a sleepless night because of that pronouncement.

That Bush and Cheney, with the connivance of Karl Rove, would engineer an event that would waste the lives of thousands of Americans simply to gain complete dictatorial control is not out of the realms of possibility. It's merely the price of doing business.

No comments: